Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thank God for Pandemics!

Months ago when I first started working at the library, I was young and new to the working world. I had grand visions of things like paychecks and federal tax returns and a little myth I like to call payroll direct deposit. But all of those dreams were crushed on the first day of work when I marched my little body up to payroll and asked if they did direct deposit.

"No" the lesbian with the nose ring said. Or at least she would have said that if I had asked or if she was actually a lesbian, but she gave me no indication that direct desposit was available to temporary staff and employees. I left defeated by the giant ogre and vowed to return another day to dance on her corpse... or pick up my paychecks biweekly.

That is until today...

Fortunately for me, there is a little thing called the Avian Flu threatening to extinct life as we know and as part of the college's Avian Flu or other Catastrophic Events Strategic Plan (I shit you not that's what it's called), I and the rest of the working grunts at the library now reap the benefits of direct deposit!

We're just like salaried employees now, only we earn less money... and don't get benefits... or respect...

In other news, for Halloween I decided to be original and go as a Goth Kid (which is only funny because if you know me in real life I am jolly and laughy and listen to pop music and wear lots of polo shirts). The transformation was very effective - my coworkers and friends didn't recognize me and when they did they all wanted to take pictures (my boss even used the department camera).

I must say it was an amazing costume... albeit an expensive one:

Red & Black Hairspray: $6.00
Fake Piercings: $2.00
Lipstick and Eyeliner: $5.00
Black Pants: $20.00
Black T-Shirt: $20.00
Metal Arm Band: $5.00
Wallet Chain: $15.00
Spiked Dog Collar: $15.00
Almost Scaring A Man Out of the Bathroom Because He Walked In On You While You Were Putting Your Fake Lip Ring Back In: PRICELESS!

He came in looked at me, made a face, started to go back out when I explained what I was doing and that it was just a costume. From there he came back in and went to the urinal where he proceeded to stare at me and started asking me questions. At that point I was the uncomfortable one trying to back out of the bathroom.

Seriously people are far as I am concerned when you are using a public bathroom you are NOT allowed to multitask - no talking, no cell phone, no reading (I found one of our books in the bathroom), just drop your load and leave (only after first washing and thoroughly drying your hands).

My favorite thing about the goth boy costume (aside from the looks) was that people kept asking me if it was costume. As if overnight I decided I was tired of the status quo and would finally reveal my true self! They also kept asking me if the piercings were real and while I am committed to a costume, there is no way in hell you will ever see me getting any metal attached to me thankyouverymuch. Especially not 8 piercings.

That look took a lot of maintenance and at the end of the day I was happy to wash off the makeup, change into my own clothes and go back to my run of the mill librarian self.

I have so much more respect for my friends who dress like that every day.

Keep on truckin'!

2:^)

4 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Direct deposit rules, but the bitches I work for now don't do it. Anyway, how 'bout some pics of the Halloween costume?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Polt said...

YAY, stuckingfupid posts again!

All that talk, all that build up and no photo??? Geez, that's not right!

And just so you know, public restroom CAN be used for things other than dropping loads....

NOT that I speak from personal experience or anything....

HUGS...

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

One of my characters is a Brit punk (complete with faux hawk, eyeliner, tats and piercings) and another is Goth. Both looks are fun.

(And my Brit punk gets hit on a LOT.)

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously? no goth photo?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home