Sunday, September 17, 2006

Debt Is My Friend

When your car stalls... on the highway... for the fourth time... in this past month and a half, a lot of things run through your head, namely oh Christ this thing is going to be my grave!!!!!
After you've safely pulled over to the shoulder and avoided certain death, the very next though you have is that you should seriously consider investing in a new mode of transportation. What I want, ideally, is something that is cheap, fast, and fuel efficient.

Just like me... wait what?

Rocket packs and scooters aside, I am going to have to buy another car for my commute which means I magically need to find money. I've got several things going for me. One being that higher education will be my creditor (hooray for being a student... hooray for my university owning me for the next 10 years of my life... if I'm lucky). I also have plenty of people willing to risk their credit scores to cosign for me.

Bad news is the blue book value for my car... I'll give you a moment to guess how much that is.

If you said 2000 dollars that's absolutely...

1,500 dollars off the mark.

Yes if I trade my car in I will only get 500 dollars. My parents spent just 700 just last week getting the electric full pump fixed. So I will have to find some sucker erstwhile dealership that is offering one of those 1000 bucks for any trade in deals!!! And then make sure I take someone with me who knows how to haggle over a car price.

My parents are not an option. Between them they don't have a single argumentative bone in their entire bodies. So it looks like it is up to me, Your Hero, to do the dirty work. Only problem is I have no clue how to haggle.

My idea of lowballing someone would be to slap a sock full of pocket change on the desk and demanding I won't pay a penny more. When that fails I can use the change sock as a formidable negotiation tool. So far my research has turned up unhelpful results because frankly I don't know enough about cars to realize when someone is dicking me over and when their offer is legit.

"The radio comes standard? Begone with you snakeoil salesman and practice your charlatan brand of car dealersh... oh You mean standard mean it's already included in the price of the car? Heehee lets be friends."

They would smell me coming a mile away. That and because my car probably broke down again on the highway and I had to walk there.

I'll have to recruit a negotiater. Now who could that be...

2:^)

4 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. T!!!!!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Polt said...

My dad and I don't really get along, never have. I don't think we even really like each other although we tolerate each other for mom's sake. BUt I tell you what, that man haggles better than a Jewish fish peddler (no offense meant to any Jews or fish peddlers). I swear, he could start neogitating over something and end up having the owner paying him to take it. He's amazing that way.

You wanna borrow him? I'm sure the two of you can haggle out his fee. :)

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Michael The Shadow said...

Tell ya what man...if you do look at used cars for a Honda or Toyota. Them cars LAST! I had an old 82 Toyota that still ran as of last I had checked it. Too bad it got towed to it's final destination of scrappage. (yeah I got something else so it wasn't all for naught)

I say call up any Italian relation you have (or don't have) and get them to dress in a dark suit with dark glasses and speak very little until needed.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to agree with Michael. I have a Honda Civic that I dearly love and wouldn't take anything for it.

Although, Honda Financial Credit loves me. Dearly. Every month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home